Implications for the coming year and beyond
The 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) has reshaped the health care environment. The 2021 AHA Environmental Scan details data and trends that have implications for the health care field for the coming year and beyond. The scan will help your staff, leaders and board strategize and plan for the future.
Major themes in this publication reflect the AHA’s shift in strategy to address the pandemic:
- Relief: Economic landscape, operational impact and supply chain implications.
- Recovery: Public health practices, science and technology to ensure a safe environment.
- Rebuilding and reimagining: Post-pandemic changes to health care, innovation and evolving care models.
- Behavioral health: Mental health during the pandemic, substance-use disorders.
- Workforce: Shift of priorities in light of the pandemic, employment trends and clinician trends.
- Health equity, diversity and inclusion: COVID-19 disparities and chronic disease.
- Access and affordability: Health coverage, rural health and cost to consumers.
The 2021 Environmental Scan is sponsored by B.E. Smith.
The 2021 Environmental Scan Leadership Discussion Guide helps hospitals and other stakeholders use the scan to strategize and think about key issues.
An AHA member-only PowerPoint presentation is designed to help share 2021 Environmental Scan insights with various stakeholders and your community.
The AHA Transformation Talks video series is designed to help hospitals and health systems determine which direction the field may be heading and how to prepare. These short videos cover a variety of topics and connect you with health care thought leaders as they discuss how to navigate business-critical challenges and potential new solutions.
The AHA’s Society for Health Care Strategy & Market Development (SHSMD) offers a deep dive into key forces that are transforming the future of health care through Futurescan 2021-2026. An essential resource for strategic planning, this publication presents articles highlighting the insights of thought leaders on eight key trends and how they are being affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and other important factors.
The 2021 Health Care Talent Scan will help you better understand the latest forces and trends affecting health care human resources. This resource provides workforce insights you can use to guide your organization forward during this time of uncertainty and continued transformation.